This time of year when the markets are open and the vegetables are fresh I think back to the summers on the farm. Every night we had fresh corn, beans, tomatoes, and my all time favorite butterbeans. Before we could enjoy them, we had to pick, shell, snap and shuck every one of them. But, I must say it was well worth the effort. Nothing is any better than a plate full of fresh veggies with Grandma's cornbread on the side.
It was a very orderly place, well, structured I guess is a better word. You could tell what day of the week it was by what meat was served with dinner. Most nights it would be some form of pork or chicken. They raised pigs and chickens. Rarely if ever did we eat beef. On Thursdays Mr. Green would come by in his truck loaded down with fresh fish and candies for us kids and assorted items of interest for all of us. My grandmother would purchase the fish for Friday's dinner and we would get our ration of candies for the week.
Saturdays were chicken plucking day so we could have fresh fried chicken on Sunday morning. My grandmother would set her sights on a hen and before long feathers were flying. She didn't even need an axe (PETA please don't call me). I could never watch this, but I always seemed to manage to eat the chicken.
Thursdays....oh how I hated Thursdays. Laundry day. Everything was washed, hung on the line to dry, and then ironed - by me. And, when I say everything I mean everything down to my Great Uncle's underwear. I can remember being so hot I thought I would pass out before the pile of laundry was done and put away. I slept good on Thursday nights.
We always had fried chicken on Sunday too. Herm's mother used to by fish from a guy who came by in a truck too. I can't believe you had to iron. Yuck! Did you at least get to have one of those pepsi bottles with a sprinkler top? They were cool.
ReplyDelete